Tasha’s Cauldron of Everything is in full swing and dungeoneers the world over are anxiously awaiting any peeks at the book’s contents. TCoE is a rules expansion to the base D&D game, updating some rules regarding character creation and adding material previously playtested from the Unearthed Arcana content series.
The Way of the Astral Self is just one of 30 subclasses printed in Tasha’s Cauldron of Everything and has seen some minor updates since its debut in Unearthed Arcana. The article below will go over the final printed version as viewed in TCoE.
When you choose this subclass at 3rd level, you gain the Arms of the Astral Self feature. As a bonus action, you can spend 1 ki point to summon the arms of your astral self. When you do so, each creature of your choice that you can see within 10 feet of you must succeed on a Dexterity saving throw or take force damage equal to two rolls of your martial arts dice. You determine the arms’ appearance, and they last for 10 minutes or until you become incapacitated or die.
While the spectral arms are present, you gain the following benefits:
– You can use your Wisdom modifier instead of your Strength modifier when making Strength checks or Strength saving throws.
– You can use the spectral arms to make unarmed strikes.
– When you make an unarmed strike with the spectral arms on your turn, the reach increases by 5 feet.
– The unarmed strikes you make with the arms can use your Wisdom modifier instead of Strength or Dexterity for the attack and damage rolls, and their damage type is force.
Visage of the Astral Self rolls in at 6th level, summoning further aspects of your astral self. As a bonus action, or as part of the bonus action to summon your Astral Arms, you can spend 1 ki point to summon this visage, which covers your face like a mask or helmet. While it is present, you gain the following benefits:
– Astral Sight – You can see normally in darkness, both magical and nonmagical, to a range of 120 feet.
– Wisdom of the Spirit – You have advantage on Wisdom (Insight) and Charisma (Intimidation) checks.
– Word of the Spirit – When you speak, you can direct your words to a creature of your choice within 60 feet of you, making it so that only that creature can hear you. Alternatively, you may amplify your voice so that all creatures within 600 feet of you can hear you.
11th level brings the Body of the Astral Self, even further summoning aspects of your astral self. When you have both the Arms and the Visage of the Astral Self active, you can cause the body of your astral self to appear. The spectral form covers your body like a suit of armor, connecting with the arms and visage. You determine its appearance, and while it is active, you gain the following benefits:
– Deflect Energy – When you take acid, cold, fire, force, lightning, or thunder damage, you can use your reaction to deflect it. When you do so, the damage you take is reduced by 1d10 + your Wisdom modifier (minimum reduction of 1).
– Empowered Arms – Once on each of your turns when you hit a target with the Arms of the Astral Self, you can deal extra damage to it equal to your martial arts die.
The final ability, Awakened Astral Self, sweeps in at 17th level. This completes your Susanoo (sorry), or your astral form. As a bonus action, you can spend 5 ki points to summon the arms, visage, and body of your astral self and awaken it for 10 minutes. While you’re awakened, you gain the following benefits:
– Armor of the Spirit – You gain a +2 bonus to AC.
– Astral Barrage – Whenever you use the Extra Attack feature to attack twice, you can instead attack three times if all the attacks are made with the astral arms.
If you like this subclass and would like to see more, it’s recommended to visit the D&D website for more information.
Source Link: Click Here